Registering components in a remote repository

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I'm adding a discussion for this, which I received via email from Adlan (thanks for the contribution by the way):

"I'd like to know if possibility to register a dll in a remote repo is planned and if not I'd like to know why. If I understand correctly the only possibility to register a dll in a remote repo is to do to it directly omitting web-interface."

This is entirely correct, but it's because we haven't entirely decided on the model we want to use. Of course, we should have the ability to add components to a repository via the web interface. But what about the central one? We need this to grow for Refix to really take off, but we don't want it to become a free for all. I'm thinking some kind of open add process that puts components in an approval queue for a small number of moderators to approve? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

David

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Can you please describe the motivation behind building refix? And more important what are the use cases you have designed it for ?  
The way I see refix now is a helper for resolving version conflicts with some simple package management. 

Another thing: Is refix meant to work  also with assemblies without snk ?

And that with central repo... maybe there could be some kind of voting mechanism, so that people can vote for a specific assembly to be registered.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:54 PM

While the central repo is sensible, my guess is most devs are more interested in setting up a local (read company-wide) repository, where they could upload whatever they need. That is, we need to have the remote repository's web site's installation as well.

A few comments of why Refix might not take off:

- is poorly documented

- one can't setup a company repository (again, I'm not talking about a local repo on shared drive)

Other than that I'd love to see this taking off, but the 2 comments above are vital IMO. Currently, I can't even try it (it doesn't have any query capabilities either, so I can't see what assemblies and what versions are installed in the main repo). I'm starting to think that I should write one myself, but don't want to go all the way of writing the resolve, inject, postbuild, prebuild, etc. code.

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I agree the documentation needs to be improved. We are working on this, and already it is much improved since the date of your post. But I'm not sure why you say that one can't set up a company repository. The repository source code has been there from the start, and you can certainly do this. Query capabilities are there, but only to target specific things. We're working on a repository browser at the moment for your local repository (obviously the web interface provides browsing functionality for a remote one).